Prom Tutorial | Purple Smokey Eye

Sunday 12 June 2016

in

Prom Season is well underway, and while my prom was 5 years ago (where did the time go?!), I thought it would be fun to put together a prom makeup look-- though if you are going to a glamorous wedding or a fancy gala dinner I think this would look good too.  When I went to prom I did a look based around a peacock feather-- gold, teal, etc.  This time around I thought I would focus around my current favourite eyeshadow family: mauves & purple.

Some products used for this post were provided for my review, and others come from my personal collection.  I will, as always, denote PR products with a *.

purple smokey eye prom tutorial

The overall vision I have for this look is smokey purple eyes, glowing skin, and nude glossy lips.  I wanted this to be a look that adds some glam and drama, but is still fresh faced and youthful.

purple smokey eye prom tutorial

Some of the key products I used to achieve this look include:

Available in store at Holt Renfrew

I love this little quad of shadows because not only is it great quality, but it is also easy to use.  The three neutral shadows can be easily used for an every day look, and the pop of purple can really take it to the next level.

Available in store at Holt Renfrew

This peachy-nude lip gloss is highly pigmented and can be worn on its own or over a lipstick. 

Available in store at Holt Renfrew

This peachy-nude lipstick is a nice balance to the darker smokey eye, but can also be worn with a lighter summer look.

Available at Walmart & Jean Coutu

Fake lashes can take any look from pretty to glam pretty quickly.  I love that these lashes have a thin band and multi-angle technology to give the lashes added dimension and lift. 

Available at Sephora & Shoppers Drug Mart

This is my favourite liquid eyeliner pen.  Perfect to get that perfect cat's eye.

Available at Sephora

I got this eyeliner in this year's Sephora birthday gift. It is perfect to tight line my eyes and to line my waterline!

purple smokey eye prom tutorial

Lashes for days


purple smokey eye prom tutorial

Step 1

Start with a clean face, and apply your trusted moisturizer.  I find Caudalie's Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet wears well under makeup, while keeping my skin hydrated and happy.

My goal for this prom/glam look is to have a wearable purple smokey eye with dewy, glowing skin.

With that in mind I applied a hydrating primer (Too Faced's Hangover Primer-- it is loaded with coconut water, so not only does it smell like summer, but it is lightweight and hydrating!) and then gave my skin a few seconds to dry down.

Using a damp Beauty Blender I applied a full coverage foundation (Dior Star in 010) and some concealer under my eyes.  Keep that damp Beauty Blender on hand because it will come in handy later!

Step 2

Before doing my eyeshadow I like to do my brows.  I used my usual Smashbox matte pencil in "Taupe" and then added some texture with their glossy pencil.  Doing my brows first helps me frame my eyes so I can better define my shape with eyeshadow.

For this look, I will be using Charlotte Tilbury's Luxury Palette in "Glamour Muse"*.  First, I used the satin pink shadow in the top left all over my lid, right up to my brows. 

Step 3

I used the pink-grey shadow in the top right through my crease, using a fluffy dome shaped brush, blending out the edges for a softer look.

Step 4

Next I used the grey in the bottom right of the palette on my outer crease using a fluffy dome brush, blending and dragging through my entire crease for added dimension.

Step 5

Using a small stiff brush I gently patted the sparkly purple shadow on my lid from my lash line to my crease.  I needed to do my whole lid about two to three times to really build up the pigment.

Step 6

Using my favourite Stila liquid eyeliner I did my usual cat's eye eyeliner, extending the wing a bit more.  

I lined the band of my KISS Blooming Lashes in "Peony"* with their lash glue, and let it sit for about 30 seconds so the band was tacky.  Using a pair of tweezers I applied the lashes as close as I could to my natural lash line.

Tip: having a band of black eyeliner gives you some wiggle room if you can't get your lashes right along your lids.

Tip: You may want to trim the lashes to fit your eyes.  I have rather large eyes so I don't tend to need to trim mine.

Step 7

I blended my natural lashes with my fake lashes with a few swipes of Tarte's Lights Camera Lashes mascara.  If the band of my lashes is visible, or messy, just add a bit more of your liquid liner on top to blend it all together.

I finished off this look by lining my inner rims with my Marc Jacobs eyeliner.  Currently this is my favourite eyeliner to line my rims with because it has a great staying power, and because it has a twist up format.

purple smokey eye prom tutorial

For my lips I applied Charlotte Tilbury's K.I.S.S.I.N.G. in "Bitch Perfect"* and then topped it off with her Lip Lustre in Sweet Stiletto*.  I love balancing a darker smokey eye with a lighter, glossy lip. For events like proms, or weddings I don't like to be wearing too much.  A lighter lip helps prevent that.

purple smokey eye prom tutorial

To bring it all together I did a light contour with my Anastasia Beverly Hills contour palette, added a pop of blush (Colour Pop Birthday Suit), a sweep of bronzer (Too Faced's Sweet Tea*) and some highlight (Becca's Champagne Pop, of course!).

purple smokey eye prom tutorial

Since I really wanted the focus of this look to be my makeup, I decided to sweep my hair into a loose chignon.  I love a pulled back hair style when your dress has an interesting neckline.  I was planning to put on one of my fancy dresses and take some photos outside, but of course, the day I scheduled for that it was rainy and gloomy.

purple smokey eye prom tutorial

I'm really loving how much more these lashes add to my look.  They were comfortable to wear, and easy to take off.  Just a gently tug on the other corner and they slip right off.  The peachy lip is glossy and neutral, balancing off the darker eye, and of course, Champagne Pop adds the right amount of glow.

Let me know what you think of this tutorial style!  I am currently saving up for a new camera, and hope to be able to do more tutorials in the next few months.  I want to share a wedding guest tutorial with you guys 

What did you wear for your prom makeup?  How would you do yours today if you had a second shot?

No comments:

Post a Comment