Sample Killah Week 3 Update

Thursday 24 July 2014

in
So if you have been following my blog at all you will have noticed that I have been participating in Kalyn Lord's Sample Killah!  Basically the the goal is to use up as many samples as possible during the month of July.

My goal is to use up 100 samples.  As of the end of my week two update I have used 73.  This week was a bit slower for me-- I was super busy and ended up slacking on my use of sample shampoo and conditioner!  I also made large dents into a few deluxe sized samples which I will be talking about next week during my final update!


A little less than previous weeks, but not too bad!  It is getting stressful trying to get through these minis!  But I have enjoyed falling in love with new products.

Hair


The Body Shop Moisture Shampoo x 2 - No Buy
This shampoo is probably good, but the samples were so small that two did not cover my hair!  I ended up adding some of my regular shampoo to substitute.  Smelled good!  Very tropical.  

The Body Shop Moisture Conditioner x 2 - No Buy
Same issue as the shampoo.

Alterna Moisture Shampoo x 2 - No Buy
Long hair problems!  Same issue as with the Body Shop.  This smelled strongly of Argan Oil.  Which makes sense.  I really enjoyed this sample but I can't justify such small and expensive bottles with my hair.  They have a great 500 point sample kit with the shampoo, conditioner, hair milk and hair cc cream at Sephora but I would go through the shampoo and conditioner so fast!

Alterna Moisture Conditioner x 2 - No Buy
Same comments as above.  The lady really gave me 1.5 samples which didn't even cover my ends!

LUSH Marilyn Hair Treatment - No Buy
This was nice, but I prefer the Jasmine and Henna hair treatment.  Given their price I can really only pick one.  I did find it brightened my blonde.  Maaaaybe I will just grab samples every time I buy the other one.  I just used this sample on my bangs/top of my hair.  

LUSH Jasmine and Henna Fluff Eaze - Already bought!
Love this product!  Stay tuned for a full review.

LUSH Retread Conditioner - No Buy
A find conditioner, but nothing special.

Ojon Deep Conditioner - Buy
Ugh, I love this stupidly expensive conditioner.  I only use it on my ends though!  It will be mine one day, once I get through some of my stash.

Face


Olay Wet Cleansing Cloth - No Buy
These were my go-to before eI discovered the Quo wipes which I find more gentle on my skin.

Kiehls Powerful Wrinkle Reducing Eye Cream - No Buy
I prefer an all over oil for my night time skin routine.

Julep Luxe Repair - Already bought!
Wow. This blew my expectations out of the water!  I ended up adding on the Luxe Repair Serum and the Luxe Hand Repair to my August Maven Box for $14.99  Great deal, and I just can't wait to include this serum in my skin care routine.  

GlamGlow Thirsty Mud Hydrating Treatment - Buy
LOVE this.  I have reviewed it before, but I can't get over the coconut smell.  It is a bit expensive, so I want to wait until I know where I am working this fall when I go back to school.

Clarins HydraQuench Cream Mask - Already own!
I bought this mask last year after trying it at Sephora.  Then I got a whole bunch of samples of it from Shoppers the other week and I rediscovered it.  Needless to say that I will be suing up the rest of my full sized version.  You simply apply a thick cream for 10 minutes and then wipe it off.  It makes my skin super soft!

Benefit Total Moisture Facial Cream - No Buy
I have always wanted to love this product.  I have tried a sample this size twice, and both times as good as it smells I can't get over how heavy?  thick? it feels.  I just don't like it.  To get through it faster I ended up using it on my neck.

Other


DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel - No Buy
This really made my hair feel dry and crunchy.  Not a fan!  I would love to find the right version of a product like this though.  I would love to be able to diffuse my hair with a gel/cream.

Aveno Daily Moisturizing Lotion - No Buy
This is a perfectly fine lotion.  Its my baseline.  My mom loves the brand and this stuff is all over our house.  I literally will never have to buy it because it is always available.  Never my first choice, but never my last.

Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange Body Butter - No Buy
This smell was nice, but a bit strong.  I liked that it was a tube rather than a tub as I find it more hygienic.  Pacifica makes some neat products.  Not sure where to find it in store.  Just not in love!

Make Up


Smashbox Full Exposure - No Buy
Eyeshadow on a card is hard to use!  Getting it on the brush?  Applying it evenly?  Ugh.  Anyways I am not in love with this product but it may be the format I use it in.  Either way I own every Naked palette so right now I don't need another neutral palette.  I might buy this in January to start building up my Rouge status again in the new year.

Urban Decay YDK - No Buy
Frustrating to use, see above.  I like this colour, but I am 99% sure it is either in one of the Naked palettes, or I have a dupe.  Love the colour though!

Urban Decay Foxy - No Buy
Not my favourite colour, but it is useful in creating a smoky eye.  This colour can be found in the Naked Basics palette.

Dior Pore Minimizer Primer - No Buy
This primer is fine, but I prefer the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer and the Dior Radiance? Glowing? Primer.  Haha the other one.

Becca Poreless Primer - No Buy
See above.  I find this one hard to apply.

Make Up Forever HD Powder - Maybe Buy
The trick I learned with this is you apply your moisturizer/primer first, and THEN the powder, and THEN your liquid foundation.  It creates a velvet finish that really stays all day.  I am intrigued, but not sure if I need this one since I have a two mini loose powders.

Marc Jacobs Mascara - No Buy
Great mascara when it comes to length.  But it is a flaky jerk to remove.  Not worth it!  I prefer Make Up Forever Smoky Eye Mascara, Diorshow, and Benefit They're Real!

Clinique High Impact Mascara - No Buy
When I think "Clinique" I think skin care, not make up.  They have been improving their make-up game lately.  This mascara strikes me as their "standard mascara".  It lengthens, and add volume and curl with out doing too much of either.  I actually even got a compliment on my mascara wearing this!  This is a great day mascara.  However I have 4 full sized, unopened Smashbox mascaras that achieve a similar look.  I wouldn't complain if I got another sample of this though!

So there we go.  I liked that there weren't as many mini reviews to write this week.  Also, I reached 100 samples! Best product of the week?  Probably the Make Up Forever Powder.  


Goal - 25

Achievement - 29

Net Samples +4

Total Samples - 102

Mission accomplished! But I will still keep going for the last week.



No comments:

Post a Comment