Maybelline Dream Velvet Foundation - 15 Ivory

Sunday 24 April 2016

in
Maybelline Dream Velvet Foundation - 15 Ivory

This foundation is my first foray back to drugstore foundation since I was in high school! Keep reading for my thoughts on this, and other improvements at the drug store!

Okay, so I have a story to share with you.  When I was about 15 I stumbled into the shimmering oasis that is Sephora, bought my first Too Faced Natural Eyes palette, and then I never left.  After testing some high end products I was hooked, and I left the drug store in the dust.  Sure, my collection at the time still had some drug store products, but as each finished I would replace it with something from Sephora.... and well about 8 years later I'm still hooked.  

I just found that higher end products were better, and that most drug store products weren't very good. A year or two ago I was back wandering the drug store isles and I couldn't believe the price of some drugstore foundations... $20....$25?  For that much I'll be across the street at Sephora, or across the store in the Beauty Boutique, thank you very much.

When I think back to drugstore foundations of my past I think of colours that are too yellow for my skin, patchy application, and cheap packaging.

Last month reviews of this foundation were all over my twitter and instagram feed, and fellow bloggers were saying pretty good things about it.  At about the same time I ended up in Walmart to help my boyfriend buy new shower mats and this little guy was on sale for $7.99.  Well, $7.99 for the sake of the blog, I guess......

Maybelline Dream Velvet Foundation - 15 Ivory swatch

I selected "15 - Ivory" after doing some quick searches in store on my phone and swatching the other lighter shades.  I wanted something a touch warmer for summer, so I may have to re-visit this after I get back from my vacation next month (which is actually really soon! 1 month today I will be in San Francisco!).

This foundation comes packaged in a nice little squeeze tube with a matte feel to it.  Not too fancy, but nice enough and it does the trick and doesn't feel cheap.

This foundation has a whipped-gel consistency.  It isn't runny at all once it is out of the tube, it remains stiff.  Once you start to blend it it feels like a heavy cream, and then buffs into a lightweight powder feel.  It leaves my skin feeling soft, and not parched, which is nice for a cheaper matte foundation.

wearing Maybelline Dream Velvet Foundation - 15 Ivory

"Travel. Selfie. Interview. You always want to look amazing, and amazing starts with a solid foundation. Now you can have fresh, hydrated skin, a velvety matte finish and seamless coverage to face the world boldly and beautifully."

Hydrated skin.  Matte finish.  Flawless face. 

wearing Maybelline Dream Velvet Foundation - 15 Ivory

I used a Beauty Blender for application, but this line comes with its own sponge that you can buy to apply the product.

I found I was able to get through the day without this melting off or showing unreasonable signs of wear.  My skin felt good all day, though near the end I found that this oxidized a bit warmer than I like.  Over all I am glad that i tried this foundation and added it to my collection.

The drug store has made some impressive gains since I was in high school, and while higher end products will make up the majority of my purchases, I may find myself wandering the isle to see what I can pick up on sale.  I already knew that Essence was pretty great, but I'm glad to see that other brands are making great stuff at affordable price points.

The only downside with a drugstore foundation is that you can't exactly ask for take home samples, so matching your shade may be difficult.  I made my best educated guess and did a reasonable job-- I wanted something a tad darker for summer. All I can say is swatch in store and read some reviews.

Overall I am really happy with this product and I think that Maybelline did a great job! I think it looks lovely on me, and I am happy to add this to my foundation rotation!

Have you tried this foundation?  What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment