Becoming a Mermaid | Aquamermaid Toronto!

Tuesday 14 March 2017

in
mermaid class toronto review

When I was first approached with the opportunity to become a mermaid participate in an Aquamermaid class I didn't think twice, I just said yes. Oh, and if I could bring a guest. I didn't want to go at it alone. Keep reading to learn about my fun day (hour) as a majestic mermaid.

mermaid class toronto review

As somebody who grew up watching Disney princess movies, and loving all things girly, I naturally was thrilled at the chance to be a mermaid. I even considered buying an Ariel branded bikini top that looked like clam shells just for the occasion...

mermaid class toronto review

I ended up going with my cousin's wife, and we turned it into a girl's day: mermaid, blow out and high tea. Details on the high tea coming soon!

My only concern was if the tail would fit me-- looking back that was silly. The tails fit up to about a size 20. If that is a concern for you just email your local school. They are hard to roll up, but that's the case for everybody. Taking them off is way easier!

After a quick swim test (two lengths of the pool) we got out and shimmied into our tails. Getting into the pool was hilariously awful. I tried hopping my way over, but I figured that would end badly so I sat down and kind of gracefully rolled in. 

mermaid class toronto review

mermaid class toronto review

mermaid class toronto review

Once in the water we learned a few strokes, flips and dives, and put together a synchronised swim-dance. Ours was cheesy and graceless, but we had fun doing it and that's what counts. Keep in mind that we were in an adult class. I bet that the kids classes would LOVE that.

More importantly we had lots of free time to swim and take pictures. I really enjoyed swimming under water with the tail. It really moves you through the water with minimal effort. By the end of the class my feet hurt more than my core! 

mermaid class toronto review

I had a blast with my friends Brianne (check out her blog here!) and Vicky (who doesn't have a blog. But she married my cousin, so she's still cool in my books ^.^). It was silly, and graceful, and hilarious. 

The class instructor also kindly indulged us be taking countless pictures of us.

I appreciated that both my fellow mermaids (there were maybe 20 of us?) and the instructors fostered a positive environment. There was an older lady who was really encouraged and celebrated by the other mermaids. Everybody there was basking in the glow of being a mermaid that they didn't have time to worry about what other people were doing in their fins.

mermaid class toronto review

If you are interested in becoming a mermaid you can learn more about the classes here, and about buying a mermaid tail here. Classes are available in 10 locations including Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Kitchener, Quebec City, Chicago and Phoenix. Classes are available for children and adults. Can you imagine how fin (get it?) that would be to rent out for a children's birthday party? #Goals

mermaid class toronto review

I opted not to bring goggles because I forgot, but they would have been helpful to bring. 

Located at a public pool in downtown Toronto (23 Grange Road, just steps from St. Patrick station), Aquamermaid classes are easy to get to both by car and transit. Monthly memberships are $75 a month and include 1 hour of class and 1 hour of free swim every week. These classes are more fitness focused. Trial classes cost $60 (which is what I did!) and are more focused on learning something new, having fun, and getting the right Instagram shot. 

Here's a video I made of our time swimming! Enjoy:


I was invited to attend the trial class for free-- and loved every minute of it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment