My (Uninspiring) Birchbox | May 2015 (+rant)

Monday 29 June 2015

in

Anybody else been feeling uninspired by recent Birchboxes?  I had such high hopes, thinking it would be just like the American box, but its the same few brands on repeat, the same drab colours, and the same general products.  I swear I will cancel once I get redeem all of my points for something great (like The Balm).


I really don't have much to say about this box.  The bubble bath/shower gel smells like cheap candy lemons in a sort of lemon-gum-drop sort of way.  Not exactly thrilled about getting another body wash.  The hair spray has a weird spritz nozzle that just leaves parts of my hair damp and sticky.  Also-- I have gotten something from this line in every single one of my boxes.  The nail polish is *bleh*.  I actually had a conversation at the CBB meet up about how awful it was.  No joke, one girl brought this entire Birchbox to trade.  Guess she felt the same as me?  I don't care for the mascara-- it isn't long lasting at all on me, and it flakes.  The lippie is the most redeeming thing in the box and even then its tiny.  It lasts a while, it looks pretty on me, but the applicator is a little larger than needed for this product.


Swatches

Sorry that I didn't have more to say about this box-- I just don't really have much to say about it.  I am pretty disappointed by the whole Birchbox in Canada experiment-- our American friends get the most amazing products while it feels like Canada constantly gets items pulled out of the bottom of the reject bin.  And Sephora's recent shipping policy that results in Canadians missing out on being able to order all sorts of amazing products doesn't help.  I think lately I am just disappointed by how cheap shipping is in the states (ipsy, Color Pop), how big their selection is (Sephora) and how exciting their subscription boxes are (Birchbox).  I love being Canadian, but I wish these companies would understand that Canadian consumers want what American consumers have.  We have access to the same media, their blogs, their social media-- we know its there.  Don't pretend otherwise.  We don't want the second rate version, we want the full on awesome product and shipping and perks.  Why do Canadians have to spend $35/$50 to get the cool Sephora perks while Americans both pay less for the products and only pay $25/$35 for the same perks?  You know, the little deluxe samples.  Anyways thats my little rant.  I just want Canadian consumers to have access to the same amazing things our friends in the states do (and hey Ulta is you want to open up a shop in Toronto, be my guest!).  I know much of it has to do with French language packaging, and drug approvals for things like SPF, but sheesh LMVH and other major beauty companies need to hire some better Government Relations people and get things sorted out.  If Coca Cola can figure out how to operate in basically every country of the world, I'm sure Clinique, Bobbi Brown, and Bite can figure out how to ship to Canada through Sephora and that Birchbox cna figure out how to send Canadians some actually desirable items.  //end rant.

10 comments:

  1. I got the same lippie in a Birchbox from a few months ago (when I was still living in the US) and I didn't care for it. Hopefully next month's box will be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully! Though I have sort of been feeling that way every month, except for the beauty blender month!

      Delete
  2. Arg that must be frustrating! I'm surprisingly not subscribed to any of these boxes but sometimes i've seen some crazy value boxes! I've tried this one called Memebox from Korea, and it's really good!

    But definitely companies find it harder to operate in Canada which sucks for us! There's just not enough of a market, and geographically our country is too large to take advantage of economies of scale :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten some great Memeboxes before, but I haven't heard much from them lately.

      And exactly! I know that's the reason but sometimes I feel like they use it as an excuse.

      Delete
  3. I used to get Birchbox (I live in America) and I was not impressed. I ended up canceling the box.
    Classy Country Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don't blame you! I think I will cancel after I cash out my points.

      Delete
  4. Boo, even though we're next door, America is basically the spoiled sibling. I agree with you. It doesn't look like that Birchbox was too great... at all.

    How much is it a month? I don't currently subscribe to any beauty boxes but I was thinking about it. Leaning toward Ipsy now!
    Thanks!

    www.thethingislemons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed!

      Birchbox is $14 a month CAD; Ipsy is $14.95 a month USD so usually about $18. For what its worth I usually find the ipsy bag to be worth it. Their points system isn't as good, but the products are way better and the bag is just more fun. If you do decide to subscribe to ipsy it would make my day if you would consider using my subscription link: https://www.ipsy.com/new?refer=4w9u

      Let me know what you decide!

      Delete
  5. Boo! I don't subscribe to any beauty boxes but I have heard the same complaints about Birchbox. Is there another box you recommend? Victoria Ess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really happy with my IPSY bag-- it had some rough patches last year, but this year's bags have been amazing! It works out to about $20 per month CAD (depending on the dollar) and I always get at least 2-3 items out of 5 that I end up loving, and usually something else totally new to me. If you are interested in signing up I would love if you would consider using my referral link! https://www.ipsy.com/new?refer=4w9u :) I recently did a review of my IPSY bag if that helps get a sense of things!

      Delete