The Great Mask Off: Living proof Restore Mask Treatment

Wednesday 23 July 2014

in

The weather here in Ottawa has been hot and humid and rainy.  On top of that, my new apartment's shower water is much different from the water I am use to.  All of this is to say that my hair has been under a lot of stress lately, and has been in need of some TLC (no...not watching Wedding shows on Friday night).

One of the biggest challenges of having super long hair, or trying to grow one's hair to be super long is keeping it healthy.  After all, long and stringy unhealthy hair isn't attractive.  

Regular "mini-trims" are said to be important, but I have found that if I focus on hair care and damage prevention that I can get away with one trim every 9-12 months.  I like to use oils, deep conditioners, and minimal heat.  My goal is to grow two more inches of hair, and then maintain that length.

When I was a kid there was a girl in my class who was pretty, popular, and well liked by teachers/parents.  She had long hair, and so one day in Kindergarden I made it my goal to grow my hair longer.  Silly?  Yes.  Necessary?  No.  But that aside, as a kid I always wanted long hair.  My mom, on the other hand, kept mine at a mid length so it was easy to deal with.  As soon as I was old enough to take care of my own hair I started growing it out.  One day, a few years ago the girl from Kindergarden cut her hair to her shoulders.  Success!  Mine was now longer.  Haha, but in all seriousness I love having long hair.  I love all the styles I can make with it, and how much fun it is to swim and float with.  Some girls can really rock short hair, but that's just not my style. :)

Lately though my ends have been dry and getting to become straw-like.  Considering I had a haircut 3 months ago I really an not interested in getting another one.  On to the masks!


  I think this photo does a good job at showing my hair's length.  Yay context!  Fun fact:  This photo was taken in March when I was in Dublin, Ireland.  My hair is a little bit longer now.


"Restore Mask Treatment is formulated with Living Proof's moisture-controlling molecule, PolyfluoroEster, to restore the protective layer on dry or damaged hair and reduce hair's porosity by 100%. Restore makes dry or damaged hair look, feel, and behave like virgin hair and increases hair's resistance to breakage up to nine times while healing, protecting, and preventing further damage. "

"Suggested Usage:
-Apply generously and spread through hair from roots to ends.
-Comb through if desired.
-Leave in for five minutes.
-Rinse thoroughly.
-Use one or two times per week in place of Restore Conditioner."


-Gently squeeze excess water from clean, wet hair.

I had low to moderate expectations for this product.  I actually bought it on a whim while standing in line at Sephora with my Phyto hair mask in hand.  The mini was only $14 (damn you Sephora check out line!) so I figured in the name of science, why not!

This mask is very thick and creamy.  Really, more of a body butter texture.  I have used it twice, and both times I could not get over how touchable and soft my hair was.  Even my boss, who is a guy, complimented my hair the day after using it, so that has to count for something!


I noticed that the ends of my hair also look better after using this product.  I am not sure if it is a Holy Grail product yet, but I think that my search for the perfect mask is off to a great start!

I used my normal shampoo and then this in place of a conditioner.  I wrung out as much water from my hair as possible and then used about half of the mini on my hair.  I really tried to focus on the ends of my hair, but made sure to distribute some on the rest of my hair.  I used a wide tooth comb and then took a seat at the bottom of my shower and waited 10 minutes, and then rinsed it out.  

This mask exceeded my expectations.  I look forward to trying the Phyto mask next week, and to reporting back.




No comments:

Post a Comment